Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Tonight/Today

Today was a beautiful sunny day and I managed to see none of it. But I found ways to enjoy my time nonetheless. I had a FANTASTIC lunch with the delightful CZ. We went to Jack Astors and let me tell you, that place has the BEST garlic bread. It is a good thing I am single because I must be living on a cloud of garlic right now. But it is so worth it people. Mmmm...yummy. Then I went and hung out at CZ's and chatted with her boyfriend KT for a bit before heading home to quickly clean up before the arrival of my step-dad.
Tonight was a great TV night..I just love the show Lost. My phone was ringing non-stop between Steph, CZ, and emails from CF so we could all discuss the show goings ons. It is the best. I'm definitely addicted.
So they found the 25-year old who disappeared here. Her neighbour confessed and directed the polive to two seperate places where human parts were found. Somehow, instead of being on trial for first degree murder, he is on trial for second-degree. Still premeditated, just less time in jail. I don't get it. Did he plead out? Tell them where the body parts were and they offered him a deal. It is terrifying to think about. It is hard to feel safe as a woman in this day and age. CZ was telling me that earlier this week a woman was attacked in a parking lot in the middle of the day. the news reporter made some comment about a lesson to women about being really aware of their surroundings. It made me so angry. Why are people like this? Why is it women have to constantly live in some kind of fear because somehow men out there - not all men, just some - think it is ok to victimize women. I just don't understand. I really don't. I guess i don't understand this desire to hurt eachother at all. People who beat significant others..who beat children..school bullies who beat up other kids. It makes no sense to me...how people get satisfaction out of hurting other people. And I don't think I'm over sensitive. I can watch movies and violence doesn't bother me, because i know it is fiction. Watching it in a documentary makes my entire body shudder.
I have this memory of being out wih a friend at a mall and this guy turned around and started to beat his wife. Mall security came and broke it up and called the police. But the two minute glimpse of it was horrifying to me. And it isn't like I have never been hit, I just can't imagine suffering through severe beatings. I can't imagine how these people do it. I can't imagine feeling that stucj and horribly victimized and tortured. My head hurts thinking about it. I just wish I could fix it for everyone suffering through that.
I know I'm not expressing myself very well here. I just wish I understood what drives people to do it. I wish it made sense to me. But it doesn't. Is it all about power? Is power so corruptive?
I guess this all had my mind spinning.

Ok, I need to get off this topic. Not the nicest thing to think about right before bed time. Onto another topic: it was 28 degrees in Toronto today. Freakin' hot. I'm outside all sweaty. Carrying grocery bags. I get to my building to see this notice:
"The air conditioning is now off. Please turn off your fans".
Oh my god! I have no more A/C and no fan because A/C was included. So, now I am lying here sweating because it is SO hot. I'm not ready for fall. I'm really not.

I watched the new Martha Stewart show. I have to admit, she really bugs me. I'm trying to appreciate her, But I can't. She has NO personality. How did she become a bazillionaire? HOW? The theme song to her show is "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics. Let me say for the record, none of my dreams involve Martha (unless she wanted to hirt me to be her head of PR, in which case, I LOVE her) and if my dreams did involve Ms.Stewart, I don't know if I would call them sweet.

Hmm, ok, that is the end of my useless observations this evening. I could ramble for hours.
:)

Sleep well everyone and have a lovely Thursday!

2 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

'lost'? 'martha'? this is all too girlie for me.

can't we get back into the angst? i like angst. angst is... angsty.

and while we're at it, how come i can call you but not text you? are silly canadian telecomms redirecting my texts to goa?

'tis very confusing.

filming indeed! [splutter]

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Women have to be careful of their surroundings not because that's the way the world should be, but rather because that's the way the world is.

As to the reasons why people are like this, I don't think it's hard to figure out. We live in a society that since the beginning has never offered equality to women. Violence againsdt women for the large part was expected, it is only a very small part of history where violence against women is even a crime (and there are still parts of the world where it isn't, particularly in the case of spousal abuse (or depending on where you are, honour killings)).

Leaving history aside, we have an economic system that teaches us not to care for others. A political system driven more by fear than by desire. I don't think it's any wonder we are who we are. In fact, I'm surprised there's any good people out there at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home