Saturday, October 01, 2005

We Must Never Speak Of This Post Again.

7:45am. Again. Saturday morning. If this was a horror movie, 'd known I was being haunted and terrorized by the ghost that kills at 7:45am. I didn't drink enough water yesterday and I know that because i woke up with a headache. Booo.

Saturday morning cartoons are not what they used to be. Not even a little bit. They were way better in my day with such things as Galaxy High, Pee Wee's Playhouse, Teen Wolf - the cartoon, The Snorks, and a plethora of others I can't remember.
AB put up a post today about the songs that have the most emotional impact. Clearly, you don't know me..because EVERYTHING HAS AN EMOTIONAL impact. I'm an easy mark. A music marketer's dream. But, I will list some ofmy faves and the reasons why here - more often then not, it is because the lyrics reach out and touch me. So I'm linking each song to the lyrics. But remember - you need to have both to appreciate the song. How the words are sung, how the music sounds, what the words are - those are a package deal. Let me know if any of them don't work. We will never speak of this post again as it outs me as the girliest girl ever. Do not judge me by these choices. I'm WEAK when it comes to sappy. WEAK! (but feel free to share with me your fave sappy tunes).
Ok:
Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You - Colin Hay - also on AB's list. Put it on, watch Tali cry like a baby. It is so sad and quiet. Oh..choked up already. Next song.
Walk Away by Ben Harper. The most amazing lyrics in a song ever. Here's an example of why i love it: We've tried the goodbye so many days. We walk in the same direction so that we could never stray. They say if you love somebody than you have got to set them free, but I would rather be locked to you than live in this pain and misery. Go read the lyrics.
Warning Signs by Coldplay. I love this song. I love the words. It is about regret - to me. It is about letting the idea of love scare you into ruining something when underneath it all, you just want to be with that person. But by the time you figure it out, it is too late.
Strong Enough by Sheryl Crow. Ok, cheese. I know. But I like what it says because I think we have all felt like this at some point. That is why I like it. We've always wanted to ask the question to someone.
It's Too Late- Carol King. What an amazing break-up song. Love it.


I Can't Make You Love Me - Bonnie Raitt (or another variation of although this one is my favorite). What is sadder then realizing the person you are with just doesn't love you?
Realizing that you have to let go because it doesn't exist no matter how much you love them. HEARTBREAKER. WARNING: This song leads to uncontrollable sobbing.

Damien Rice -any slow song he does. Blower's Daughter, Delicate, Cold Water, Amie, Volcano. Sad, sad, sad, oh and sometimes a little sad.


Argh..there are so many good sad songs. SO MANY! I could write lists for hours. From cheezy (Seperate Lives - Phil Collins, John Waite - Missing You, Neville Brothers - Bird on a Wire) to sad (Sarah Mclachlan - I will Remember You, Musiq Soulchild - Half-Crazy, Gary Jules - Mad World) to songs where the music is so good it just wraps you in a blanket and says "cry until it is all over because sometimes it is ok to be sad for a little while" (Ray Lamontagne - Hold You In My Arms, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Somewhere Over the Rainbow). I can't get them all down here. There are so many more: Collide - Howie Day, Thirteen Senses - Gone, I'll WIll Follow You Into the Dark - Death Cab for Cutie, Bic Runga - Sway, Trading Air - Athlete, Let Go - Frou Frou (not sad, but lovely nonetheless). I need to stop. There are always more.

There is to much out there.
So there we go. My list. I have exposed myself as the ceesiest girl EVER. Please let's never talk about this again. NEVER.

Now, I wanted to leave you with the lyrics to a Bob Dylan song. I just heard this song for the first time recently and, more than anything else, fell madly crazy in love with the words. They are so...tough. Which makes them sadder. I'm trying to think of how to accurately describe it. It is like seeing that tough old man who never cried break down and share what is breaking his heart. It isn't sweet and it isn't sentimental. It is just sad. The end of hope.

Not Dark Yet - Bob Dylan
Shadows are falling and I've been here all day
It's too hot to sleep time is running away
Feel like my soul has turned into steel
I've still got the scars that the sun didn't heal
There's not even room enough to be anywhere
It's not dark yet, but it's getting there

Well my sense of humanity has gone down the drain
Behind every beautiful thing there's been some kind of pain
She wrote me a letter and she wrote it so kind
She put down in writing what was in her mind
I just don't see why I should even care
It's not dark yet, but it's getting there

Well, I've been to London and I've been to gay Paree
I've followed the river and I got to the sea
I've been down on the bottom of a world full of lies
I ain't looking for nothing in anyone's eyes
Sometimes my burden seems more than I can bear
It's not dark yet, but it's getting there

I was born here and I'll die here against my will
I know it looks like I'm moving, but I'm standing still
Every nerve in my body is so vacant and numb
I can't even remember what it was I came here to get away from
Don't even hear a murmur of a prayer
It's not dark yet, but it's getting there.

3 Comments:

At 7:15 AM, Blogger Christy said...

I was beginning to think that my sister and I were the only ones who ever watched Galaxy High. That was my all time favorite. Did you ever watch Kidd Video? Oh, he was so hot! As for your song selection, pretty similar to mine. I listen to the Colin Hay song in my car, and have to be very carefull not to drive off the road from the sobs. Strong Enough, not cheezy, very true, especially for us strong/somewhat cracked women out there. Hope all is good. Miss you T.

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been listening to Damien Rice's album over and over for days now (well that and Feist). Just solid solid solid.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Vincent Priceless said...

You TOTALLY showed me up on this list, AND linked to all the lyrics. Nice work. Sure, a little girly, but hard to avoid given the setup I gave you. ;)

AB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home