Friday, June 24, 2005

Memes and Tagging

So my friend Elana, who is a blog superstar, has recently "tagged" me to answer a "meme". Ok, when I read that on her blog, I was like "what the hell does that mean?". So, here is my attempt at an explanation - a meme is a theme of some sorts set up in a template by a blogger who then via their blog challenge other bloggers (a tag) to answer the same mem in the same format. Challenge may be the wrong word, but basically, you are playing blog information tag.

So, here we go...my answers to the meme:


Number of books I own: I Don't even think I could answer this if I wanted to. I have 3 full bookcases and this is AFTER getting rid of half my books before moving to Toronto. I'm not going to lie to you, I'm a book junkie. I love to own them and read them and admire my literary conquests.

Last book I bought: Hmm, last book I bought for myself? I think I would say....Jonathan Strange and Mr.Norrell by Susanna Clark...although I have probaby bought books since, I just can't think of what they are. That is the last one I remember hunting for and buying it and being excited to rip into its pages

Last book I read: The last book I read was also the last book I bought Jonathan Strange and Mr.Norrell by Susanna Clark. It is an awesome book especially if you enjoy those Harry Potter type stories. It is like a darker, more political Harry Potter for grown ups.


Five books that mean a lot to me:

* The Neverending Story by Michael Ende - I read this book ages ago, thought i'm not sure if I read it before or after the movie (the first time - I've read it several times). There is just something about a book that people are actually drawn into and become a part of the story....I found it irresistable as a child and irresistable as an adult. The movie didn't do it justice.

* Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin - My entire family fell in love with this series. We devoured it all. What started out as a newspaper article, became an amazing series of books and a fun group of TV movies. It is sort of like..a more progressive, interesting, multi-cultural kinda of Melrose Place. I remember reading these books and being lost- blurring the lines between fiction and reality. I started to feel liek the characters were my friends and putting down each book was like breaking up with people. And more importantly, my whole family enjoyed them and felt that way. IT is a great series of books. I highly recommend it.

* Johnny the Homicidal Maniac by Jhonon Vasquez - This was the first real graphic novel that my friend Jen B. (who really introduced me to that world) sat me down and told me to read. She knew I had an appreciation for the dark and weird and twistedly funny and this one was no disappointment. Based on the series of comic books of the same name, about a guy who runs around killing people. But it is witty and funny and not gross. Jhonen Vasquez has come to be one of my favorites in the industry and I have even purchased his Invader Zim cartoon series on DVD. His sense of humor kills me. Funny thing is, I don't even actually own a copy of this book...I guess I should get on that.....

* Weaveworld by Clive Barker - I couldn't tell you exactly what it was about this book that I loved, but though the story specifics don't stick with me..the experience does. I remember reading this book and loving it. I remembered recommending it to everyone I knew and holding onto my ratty copy just so I could one day reread it. Maybe if i did now, I wouldn't get as much out of it...but I remember when I Read - many years ago...how much I enjoyed it really stuck with me. An immerssive story about a world in a carpet (sounds weird huh?)

*The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - This book gave me chills. A creepy look at the future of the world. Divided by money, power, and the ability to have and keep children. Put together with the fact that it is Canadian and written by a woman - who can resist the power behind it.


This is a tough list. I'm looking at my five choices and wonder if i made the right ones .There are so many others out there that shaped me - Little Women by Louisa May ALcott - I remember reading that when I was much younger and falling in love with all the girls. Diary of Anne Frank - how could someone not be touched by her story? American Psycho - this book terrified me in how simple it was and how easy it was to hide the insanity, and i don't scare easily...there are just so many books I have read over the years that I would love to list here and if I was sitting at home in front of my bookcase, i would probably have a list much longer here. But I'm at work and drawing a complete blank. So this is my jumping off point.


So, apparently my next role is to tag some of my other blog friends...so here goes - Mom, Andrew, Lana, Paul, Serge, Hannah and Michael once you are up and running....you are all tagged..it is your turn. GO FOR IT!

3 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hooray for meme's.. great list tali! i forgot how much i loved those tales of the city books.. you introduced them to me and lent them to me, mostly cos you're the bestest.

we should start a book club! except i hate being forced to read a book in a limited time frame. but i know lots of avid readers. we can make dinners and talk books! or something.

happy friday!
moi. (e)

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, OK, so I finally did the damn thing (on me blog).

Liked Barker's Books Of Blood better, but am delighted he's on your list.

-hg

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

this is very strange, I just finished reading The Handmaid's Tale. I enjoyed it, thought it isn't my favourite of Atwood's books (which is probably The Edible Woman).

And if you like Weaveworld, you should probably try more of Barker's books. They're all pretty much bizarre and interesting.

And you got rid of half your books? Please tell me you didn't throw them out. Imagine that, you throwing out a bunch of books right before I move in. Because I came in here with boxes and boxes full of books (which are still packed in the boxes, boy am I lazy), and would gladly have taken in the books you were dumping

 

Post a Comment

<< Home