Saturday, August 06, 2005

All alone

Well, the family is gone and it was a great visit and I missed them as soon as they walked out the door. Having them here has made me think about a few things, the main one being the definition of "home".
I often think that I am homesick. But having the fam visiting me here this weekend made me feel less homesick. We hung out, we had fun, we fought...just like families do. So, I'm starting to think that home isn't a place but a group of people. I can't be homesick for Montreal...the house my family lives in is not the house I grew up in. Many of my friends ad relatively new friends. And, with the exception of my family, I have just as many good friends here in Toronto. Now, logical would lead me to think then that home is your family. Wherever they are, is home. Even if it is temporary. At least I know that is the case for me. Homesick just means missing my family. Missing the people I can be around and never have to speak. Missing that feeling of being completely comfortable in your own skin and not having to worry about social graces. Just being around the people who love you no matter what. Crazy how that works.
The lesson is...if I can convince my family to move here, I'm all over the homesick.
Of course, I could go into what defines family, but that is WAY too deep for a Saturday night.

I am alone in the apartment now and it is quiet and weird...but I get to sleep in my bed again. So I can't complain about that. And as of Tuesday, back to normal. It will be weird to go back to work. I feel like I could use another year of vacation.

I still secretly want to quit my job and run away to some foreign country and volunteer somewhere. Feel like I am contributing something to the world. That constant pull..serve the greater good...or serve myself. Do I give up a career I have been working for to do something respectable? Am I getting enough out of my career to feel good about sticking to it? I don't know anymore.
*yawn* I'm all over the place today.I'm tired and distracted. I'm going to curl up on the couch and watch TV.
Here's a picture of me and my mom (she's the god looking one) on her way out today...boooo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home